The Latest News In Ad Tech
It is becoming increasingly difficult for brands to reach their target audience with video-based content advertising. Marketers should therefore supplement their video strategy by placing it in a non-video-based editorial environment.
Consumption of online video is increasing at a high rate worldwide. In fact, here in Sweden, people consume more than 100 minutes of online video per day. Together with China, it is the most in the world. But unlike most other markets where AVOD is preferred, Sweden is primarily an SVOD market where as many as 53 percent of the population consumes online video via a subscription-based service. At the same time, linear TV faces more and more challenges as its use becomes more digital. This makes it increasingly difficult for brands to reach their target audience with video-based content ads.
Complementing the video strategy with out-stream video, an advertising format placed in a non-video-based editorial environment, is a measurable and cost-effective alternative for brands that want to reach their target audience with mobile advertising. Something that more people should consider in the planning for 2021.
Sweden is of course a relatively small and consolidated market where the threshold for media and publishers to succeed in creating a successful content-driven video strategy is high. Relative to earnings, large investments and resources are required, which has created a media landscape where only a handful of players have enough resources to really grow. And despite large resources and investments, even these few players are struggling to find the scope required to become profitable. Therefore, marketers should consider out-stream, which is an effective complement to instream video. Here are some of the key benefits of this ad format:
- – Most media channels can offer outstream as it is naturally embedded in an editorial environment without any major investment in technology and infrastructure. Lowering the threshold for publishers to offer video advertising creates a richer ecosystem. A larger selection enables brands to reach their target group and highlight their message with the help of the brand-building properties of the video advertising.
- – The outstream ad format is not as intrusive as many other ad formats. This is because it does not force the user to see the entire advertising message in order to consume the content. Despite this, advertisers do not have to worry that their advertising will not be shown to users. The technology allows the advertisement to be played only when it is in the picture and if the user scrolls further, the ad is paused until it is scrolled back into the active field of the view. This means that the VTR can be measured and delivered correctly.
- – Studies conducted by Smartclip and INIZIO shows that outstream ads are as effective as instream ads in how they affect the consumer’s purchase price and strengthen the brand. The market seems to understand the benefits of the outstream, which according to IAB’s AdEx reports shows strong growth over the last two years.
- – Outstream video supports the same robust technical framework and recommended IAB standards as instream video. The launch and introduction of VAST 4.1 will be able to solve a lot of the challenges discussed in the industry regarding quality in measurement and transparency. This means that comparable and accurate results can be measured and that quality aspects that provide the ads with the correct visual appearance are met.
- – In an era of GDPR and e-privacy, marketers must strive for strategies that work even without cookies. This suggests that contextually controlled advertising will get a new boost, with outstream as the perfect format for creating a contextual video strategy. A better match between ads and editorial content will lead to better results.
Outstream is neither the same as instream nor an inferior substitute. It is a comprehensive and well-performing video ad format that should be seen as a great tool that marketers can use to do what video does best – tell a story and build a brand. In order to build successful video strategies in our small consolidated markets, out-stream is simply something we must take advantage of.
In years to come, we will look back at 2020 as the moment that...
With a bang, Elon Musk announced recently that Tesla will start manufacturing...
Are you one of those who still make the mistake of letting sales...